After a brief break for Thanksgiving, we are back at it! In the fields and the greenhouses and the storage coolers we have lots of delicious food waiting for you! The weather has held on nicely so we are still picking fresh greens from the fields. Our fingers and toes are quite appreciative of the warmer temperatures and our bellies are full of roasted root vegetables. We can't wait to start our winter share with you!
Scenes from the farm: December salad greens house, the crew making sauerkraut (will be ready for the last week's of the winter share), harvesting arugula in the field, and beautiful wreaths made by our flower farmer (for sale at the pickup!).
Choice of kale or purple broccoli leaves
Choice of radicchio or cabbage
Free choice roots: beets, carrots, potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga, hakurei turnips, kohlrabi, watermelon radish, daikon
1 jar tomato butter (use just like jam!)
Recipe of the Week
Shaved Kohlrabi and Arugula Salad with Chunky Garlic and Pimenton Dressing
- 2 medium heads garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pimenton picante (hot Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium or 1 large kohlrabi (1 pound), trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups arugula, trimmed
- 1 ounce toasted sliced almonds (1/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove 1 garlic clove from 1 head, and very finely grate, setting aside 1/8 teaspoon. Wrap remaining heads of garlic in foil, and roast until very soft and golden inside, about 1 hour. Unwrap; let cool.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together grated garlic, lemon zest and juice, paprika, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Squeeze roasted garlic from skins, and add 2 tablespoons to bowl, reserving remainder for another use. Stir to combine but leave very chunky. Stir in oil (do not completely incorporate).
3. Shave kohlrabi very thinly on a mandoline. Divide among 4 plates; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon dressing over kohlrabi, then top with arugula leaves and almonds.